The happiest moment for a parent is seeing their children grow and try out new things. Usually, a teenager has a pretty bulky bucket list and it is pretty common these days for them to drive vehicles on their own. Although the idea of riding a vehicle at such a young age may seem fascinating and cool, but the risks involved usually outweigh the thrills. Ensuring the safety of their child is a parent’s biggest concern, as a result it becomes very important for them to provide the correct guidance and training to their child regarding motorcycle handling.
The concept of motorcycle coaching is relatively different from learning how to drive a car. Motorcycle training includes many aspects that can potentially hinder your riding experience if you are unaware about those. Therefore, it becomes essential to analyze the behavior and driving style of your fellow riders and to understand various rules and regulations. All these aspects can be learned through a well-designed motorcycle coaching program. Therefore, undergoing proper motorcycle coaching is essential to prevent any mishaps that can be caused due to the lack of knowledge.
Now that you know about the importance of going through a proper motorcycle training program, let’s see the ideology that you should have while you convince your child to take proper training before hitting the road.
Rethink the fun element out of riding motorcycles and treat it as a normal routine activity
Initially, it may seem daunting to convince your child that it’s a good idea to learn how to ride a motorcycle. That is why, we want to give you helpful information on how and when to teach your child the proper motorcycle riding techniques by which you’ll be able to reduce the amount of frustration suffered in the process. Your main goal should be to provide a learning environment that allows room for errors and scope for improvement.
The mindset that you should instill in your child is to look at motorcycle riding as another essential task rather than an adventure activity that is done just for the sake of having fun. You would need to re-iterate that once riding is learnt properly, fun and adventure would be a natural outcome. Removing the fun part out of riding a motorcycle and normalizing riding as a necessity can do wonders – it will instill a sense of focus and learning.
Here is a complete roadmap for parents to follow that can help provide the right guidance to their children:
Steps for you to correctly teach your child how to ride a motorcycle properly
- Patience is the key – There are a lot many things that one needs to learn to be a good motorcycle rider, such as patience and concentration. For a child, this is difficult because most cannot concentrate on anything for long periods of time. The responsibility falls on the parents to make sure the child stays patient enough when learning how to ride a motorcycle. It is essential to have the right headspace while riding a motorcycle. The main focus should be on the road and when the mind is diverted towards other things then the chance of accidents increases significantly.
- Instead of giving orders all the time, allow the kid to take control once in a while – Riding a motorcycle is not as simple as obeying orders. For a newbie rider, it requires courage, lots of practice and the able guidance of an experienced rider. Giving your child enough room to learn and practice can help them to practically apply the knowledge he/she has about motorcycles.
- Practice in confined spaces – It is much easier to practice in an enclosed space (such as a parking lot, garage, or inside a building compound) because there are fewer distractions, so your child can practice without worrying about an accident. Practicing riding on busy and congested roads is strictly not recommended because it takes the focus away from riding practice and makes one vulnerable to other road users.
- Take the help of online courses to boost the learning process – Since the advent of e-learning platforms and online streaming platforms, it has become easy to access information about motorcycle coaching. The content that is available on the internet can easily help new riders to grasp the basics of motorcycles, their technical aspects and the rules and regulations of the road.
- Use a speed limiter – A speed limiter is a device which can be fitted on the motorcycle, it helps in limiting the maximum speed achievable by the vehicle. Needless to say, while practicing, a newbie can make mistakes which may lead to over speeding and result in accidents. The speed limiter prevents this and thus reduces the possibility of serious accidents.
- Modify your motorcycle and attach safety equipment –There are various safety attachments available for a motorcycle that can help in preventing injuries caused due to accidents, such as:
- Frame sliders
- Crash bobbins
- Crash bars
7. Consider hiring a professional motorcycle coach – The best method to make your child learn motorcycle riding is by hiring a professional motorcycle coach. The training and guidance provided by a professional coach is unmatched, their tips and tricks time tested and their experience beneficial.
Now let’s look at some of the steps you can take to mentally support your child while he/she is learning:
- Don’t take charge 100% of the time whenever your kid is practicing – this way he/she will be able to tackle real-time problems that are faced during driving, and develop self-reliance. It is a delicate balance of supervision and instruction that needs to be achieved.
- Always be supportive of your child’s progress even if there are multiple mistakes. This provides the much needed re-assurance at this crucial stage.
- Always offer some sort of feedback or constructive criticism that will help the child in recognizing his/her mistakes.
- Keep discussing driving rules and techniques with your child.
- Always try and make sure that your child observes you while you are riding the bike yourself.
Summing it up
To summarize, a parent’s role is extremely important in ensuring that their children learn motorcycle riding properly and follow proper driving rules and regulations. In addition, getting professional guidance is usually the best approach when learning a new skill along with self-practice.
The concept of undergoing a motorcycle training regime is fairly new which is slightly different from any other form of vehicle training. Learning how to ride a motorcycle does not only mean that you have to learn the mechanics of the bike, but it also includes choosing the right riding gear/equipment, the right vehicle, learning the Do’s and Dont’s of the road and developing the right mindset. Now, gear up and start practicing!